Friday 23 March 2012

How does your mobile malware protection rank?

"> Tweet


Android_malware

Are anti-virus apps necessary for Android users? Hiroshi Lockheimer, VP of Android Engineering, recently said, “I don’t think so. That’s obviously an individual choice, but I haven’t felt the need for it. Let’s put it this way, I don’t run those apps.”

How does your malware protection app rank?

Security institute AV-Test sees it differently. They claim that Google’s Bouncer technology only checks apps for malware during the time of publication in Android Market, so apps that download their malicious code after installation can’t easily be detected.

AV-Test recently inspected 41 different malware detection apps for Android to see how they performed. They found that seven apps produced average family detection results above 90%. These apps include Avast, Dr. Web, F-Secure, Ikarus, Kaspersky, Lookout, and Zoner. AV-Test says, “Using these products you don’t have to worry about your malware protection.”

They go on to note that even if a product scores poorly in malware detection it may have other convenient features, such as remote lock and wipe, backup and phone locating, that make it useful for your purposes.

But that begs the question. Why would you want a security app with poor malware detection, when there are several good ones to choose from.

Some security apps were not too happy with the results. AV-Test updated their report to note that MyMobileSecurity, NQ Mobile, Total Defense all said the testing methods were considered imprecise or flawed. All those apps were listed in the bottom half of the report, so it’s easy to see why they might have a problem with the results.

When it comes to my mobile security app of choice, I trust Lookout. I never run anti-virus software on my PC, but I choose to use it on my phone for the piece of mind and phone location feature. It doesn’t affect my battery life or performance, so I always have it installed on all of my devices. I also appreciate the Lookout Blog that seeks to inform its users rather than play on their fears.

Let us know what you think of AV-Test’s report. Does it have any influence over what security app you might use?

Source: AV-Test

Taylor is the founder of Android and Me. He resides in Dallas and carries the Verizon Galaxy Nexus as his daily device. Ask him a question on Twitter or Google+ and he is likely to respond. Tagged#anti-virus#AV-Test#Avast#Dr. Web#F-Secure#Hiroshi Lockheimer#Ikarus#kaspersky#lookout#malware#mobile malware#Zoner 25 Comments Join the discussion!Sort by DateRating 92thekaz 03/09/12 11:02 AM Thumb upThumb down +4

I am happy (so far) with Lookout, as well. I tend not to download “risky” apps for myself, but my kids constantly want some stupid app to play with, and THOSE I tend to not trust as much, so I am glad to have Lookout.

The people I feel really need to be educated are the “less technical” people (you know, your grandmother or father or the cousin no one talks about) as they may not fully understand the risks.

I am all for letting you install whatever you want on your phone, but you need to be smart about it.

Reply 85LukeT32 03/09/12 12:27 PM Thumb upThumb down +1

really surprised by McAfee’s low score. I thought they were pretty trusted in the PC world.

Reply 65jonathan3579 03/09/12 12:55 PM Thumb upThumb down +1

They have always been intrusive on any computer installed on with me. I prefer avast.

With that being said, i do not use any malware/virus protector on my phone. I am smart enough to know which apps are trustworthy or not.

Reply 64n25philly 03/10/12 6:44 AM Thumb upThumb down +1

They are only trusted by people that don’t know any better, they’re PC software is crap.

Reply 98spazby 03/09/12 4:09 PM Thumb upThumb down 0

I am there with you, have had lookout since the beginning and happy to have it

Reply AngelGuest 03/09/12 11:07 AM Thumb upThumb down +6

If the VP of Android Engineering says it’s not required, then why would I want to waste my money, time, and valuable system space loading any of these apps? Malware companies use fear tactics to sell their products. I guess their real fear is that you won’t buy their unneeded product…..

Reply 84honourbound68 03/09/12 11:25 AM Thumb upThumb down +6

I don’t have to buy lookout because it’s free :)

Reply TinaGuest 03/09/12 11:42 AM Thumb upThumb down +1

Because Android is open-source. Anyone can get the codes for the software and create what they want and get any information they want. That’s like saying Windows firewall is enough to protect your PC or like saying she said she’s a virgin I don’t need protection. Everyone needs protection.

Reply 14Matt Yearian 03/09/12 12:24 PM Thumb upThumb down 0

completely agree. Maybe in the future this might be needed, but not right now.

Reply AngelGuest 03/09/12 4:35 PM Thumb upThumb down -1

Yes lockout is free, BUT it still takes up valuable space on the drive – AND – it is using valuable resources causing your device to run slower. As far as Android being open-source, that is true, but then explain if that is all that matters, why is it that no one has ever received any viruses or malware. Obviously there are other factors in play here other than the open source issue. Bottom line; when and IF (and that’s a big if) it ever happens, then I’ll consider installing one of these apps, but until then as they say – why wake a sleeping dog…

Reply 84honourbound68 03/10/12 10:38 AM Thumb upThumb down 0

im pretty sure I’ve read that some people have had trojans installed from infected market apps. Even on my old Sammy epic 4g, lookout didn’t slow the os enough to make it unbearable. I’ll take the peace of mind lookout provides and sacrifice what little storage space it takes.

Reply danny8x8Guest 03/09/12 11:19 AM Thumb upThumb down 0

I concur with you, anti virus on the pc is just a load of marketing bull and scare tactics. I’ve never used them and never will.
Similarly, on smart phones the only useful bit about anti virus is the remote wipe function……..if it actually works in a timely fashion. I’ve never tried it.
Please spread the word, the anti virus companies just want your money. They are the ones we should inoculate against.

Reply 3Uncle Rico 03/09/12 11:21 AM Thumb upThumb down 0

The thing I like about the Trend Micro solution is the ablility to block calls and text messages, either by keywords or sender (for texts). We use it on our Exchange Servers.. awesome product, so i tried it on my GS 2.. had Lookout on my Captivate.. other than no call or text blocking, it was a great product also.

Reply 53droiddewd 03/09/12 11:25 AM Thumb upThumb down +2

After using AVG, I went with the Avast app after your site’s great write up on it earlier this year. It works wonderfully and I can see why it is at the top of the list.

Reply MarkGuest 03/09/12 11:25 AM Thumb upThumb down 0

Well, Avast FTW! First TheftAware rocked. They had the best Anti-Theft options IMHO and the way they worked with rooted phones was pure genius. Anti-Theft that can survive a factory reset? Awesome. But it was like $5, still way worth it. But then Avast goes and buys them and integrates TheftAware within their program, along with a firewall comparable to DroidWall, and offers the whole thing for free? So I know they ROCK at Anti-Theft, and now according to this they ROCK in Anti-Malware (which I never really felt I needed but the Firewall and Anti-Theft in one was nice so the Anti-Virus/Malware thing was an added bonus), and their Firewall is not bad either. So instead of an Anti-Virus Program, an Anti-Theft Program like TheftAware and a Firewall program like DroidWall, it’s all in one; and it’s free. Why aren’t you running Avast?

Reply 63txbluesman 03/09/12 11:35 AM Thumb upThumb down 0

I have been using Lookout for several years now and I like it. I usually get all my apps from “Google Play”(Android Market, LOL!) and don’t sideload, so I feel pretty secure. It is all about choice and what makes you feel good inside.

Reply 89oddball 03/09/12 11:38 AM Thumb upThumb down +3

I used avast for the root integration. It ensures that even if a thief does a factory reset my tracking software can still be activated to recover my phone. All for free. Yes it comes with antivirus built in and according to this report a pretty good one but that is really just icing on the cake

Reply shaneGuest 03/09/12 11:47 AM Thumb upThumb down 0

I used to use lookout until it couldn’t detect the malware plankton. The way I found out was i I use kaspersky on my computer and they gave me a full year of there mobile app for free so I installed it the same tike I also had lookout on my phone. I downloaded a game from the market and kaspersky warned me of the malware plankton which is a trojan that was attached to this game lookout did nothing. When i asked lookout they said its not a malware everything is OK. However if you search the web for it even Google themselves recognize it is malicious and have pulled appspfrom the market because of it. Needless to say I won’t use lookout anymore because they lied, and treated me like I was stupid too.

Reply 29Max.Steel 03/09/12 11:58 AM Thumb upThumb down 0

Anti-virus on Android phones is playing on rabid fear. How often does a Linus kernel get a virus? Exactly…

Reply 74thaghost 03/09/12 12:13 PM Thumb upThumb down 0

I dont use momile malware protection

Reply DerekGuest 03/09/12 1:28 PM Thumb upThumb down -3

You say you dont run antivirus on your PC!?!? Wow!! I would never even turn on a windows pc without some form of antivirus. Granted on my Macs I dont use any antivirus on them.

Reply 48jsweetser2 03/09/12 3:40 PM Thumb upThumb down 0

I use lookout too and I love it. Twice i’ve left my phone somewhere and lookout allowed me to find it fast and easily. It’s the main reason I use it. Anti virus is just a bonus

Reply Dustin SabeckyGuest 03/09/12 4:40 PM Thumb upThumb down -2

I have an iPhone, therefore my protection is in the white wall I’m behind.

Reply 15TruFactz 03/09/12 6:24 PM Thumb upThumb down -2

Avast! All Day. i don’t even “look” to Lookout, avast security is by far the most helpful
While ur iPhone user here is calling me asking “Can Find My IPhone locate when the phone is off?” and “If they wipe the device can i still locate it” Which neither it can do, ill be getting a text message with the person who stole my phone’s number as well as his geo. Good Day.

Reply 21Olliedcy 03/09/12 10:30 PM Thumb upThumb down -1

While I agree that most people don’t need antivirus on Android phones I am not in that category. I sideload alot on my rooted devices and have used Lookout since day one. I haven’t caught anything yet but it gives me a degree of peace of mind that makes it worthwhile to me. YMV

Reply Leave a Reply Cancel replyYour email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Name *

Email *

Website

Comment

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

Notify me of follow-up comments by email.

Notify me of new posts by email.

Hotly debated the-new-ipad-630 Do Android fans really care about the iPad? 171 google-play-devices-630 Google Play goes live, replaces Android Market 156 device-pile Android’s choice problem: why too much of a good thing isn’t a great thing 73 google-play-suitcase Got Google Play Store? Force it onto your Android device now 69 Tegra 3 NVIDIA to challenge Apple’s claims that the A5X bests Tegra 3 graphical performance 65 Top commentersToonshorty Thumb up Thumb down +29

on Android Market is dead, Google Play takes over starting today

Anthony E. Thumb up Thumb down +23

on Android Market is dead, Google Play takes over starting today

Alan Reboli Thumb up Thumb down +21

on Android Market is dead, Google Play takes over starting today

Staff © 2012 Android and Me SAY Channel Tech Login

Username

Password

Remember Me

Register | Lost your password?

Register

Username

E-mail

A password will be e-mailed to you.

Log in | Lost your password?

Reset Password

Username or E-mail:

Log in| Register

Powered by SimpleModal Loginimg#wpstats{display:none} Quantcast

No comments:

Post a Comment