Saturday 28 January 2012

ASUS promises fix for Transformer Prime lockups as early as February

"> Tweet

transformer-prime-back

Though some will lament the fact that the ASUS Transformer Prime was released with several issues, ASUS has continued to impress us with its commitment to updates for its flagship tablet. Earlier this month, ASUS pushed out an update to Ice Cream Sandwich which brought with it fixes to several of the software hiccups plaguing the Prime (including GPS and WiFi performance), along with the wonderment of Android 4.0.

Users of the Transformer Prime are still reporting that their devices are randomly locking up during various use cases (hit the source link to peruse the 400+ threads), requiring a reset to restore the tablet back to proper working conditions.

ASUS Technical Marketing Manager Gary Key has taken to the XDA developers forum to provide an update on a few bugfixes its working on. Mr. Key has indicated that ASUS is aware of the lockup issues affecting some Transformer Prime owners, and has indicated that the company will be pushing out an update that fixes this issue sometime in early February.

Further, ASUS recognizes that some users are still seeing issues with WiFi/Bluetooth fallout, and is asking users having this issue to send him a private message on XDA with a serial number so they can more closely investigate the issue.

We’ve written about our appreciation of ASUS’s commitment to frequent updates and customer service before, and folks such as Mr. Key are quickly propelling ASUS to become one of our favorite manufacturers because their actions back up their commitment to customer service. Devices are always going to have unforeseen problems pop up over time, and it’s good to see companies like ASUS firmly committed to making it right.

Via: The Verge

Source: XDA-Developers

Anthony loves all things technology, from hardware to apps and games. You can connect with him via Google+ or Twitter by clicking one of the fancy doo-dads above. Tagged#Asus#Asus Transformer Prime#Transformer Prime#Transformer Prime bugfixes .nrelate .nr_sponsored{ left:0px !important; }.nrelate .nr_sponsored{ left:0px !important; } 24 Comments Join the discussion!Sort by DateRating 55w9jds 18 hours ago Thumb upThumb down -1

I hope it takes better than the “GPS fix”…

Reply 100Anthony Domanico 17 hours ago Thumb upThumb down 0

My GPS works flawlessly on the TF Prime.

Reply 55w9jds 17 hours ago Thumb upThumb down 0

Yea, some peoples do but a lot of people report after the GPS fix, it doesn’t work at all.

Reply 3heyYu 16 hours ago Thumb upThumb down 0

Me too, I don’t have any wifi or GPS problems. Maybe we got better lock? I had the old Transformer, resell after I got Prime, no problem with that either.

Reply 100BiGMERF 15 hours ago Thumb upThumb down 0

i do not have any issues with anything either.. I have had maybe like 2 restarts 1 with ICS and 1 pre ICS..but no lockups,gps,wifi,or Bluetooth issues. My Bluetooth is on all the time too, I use it with texttab.. to sync my texts from my gnex to the prime.

Reply 87spazby 18 hours ago Thumb upThumb down 0

Still, I love the many updates and most the timely ice cream update from asus.

Reply 89ranwanimator 17 hours ago Thumb upThumb down 0

I wish there was a way to know what percentage of these things are on the fritz. It’s difficult to tell because the people who are having problems are typically the most vocal. ASUS has to be super proactive because there is so much negative energy in the reviews and forums for these things.

I only had mine for 24 hours before the screen went plaid after plugging in the charger. Had to send it right back. Just waiting now for Amazon to get more in stock.

Reply 100Anthony Domanico 17 hours ago Thumb upThumb down 0

Several people I know personally who own the Prime have had no issues.

Reply AndrewGuest 17 hours ago Thumb upThumb down 0

Sometimes mine just reboots itself. Not sure if that is the same as the “freeze” but it certainly isn’t cool. I hope the fix is for this, too.

Reply 100Anthony Domanico 17 hours ago Thumb upThumb down 0

Be sure to head to XDA and let Gary know what’s going on. They’re stupid good at responding.

Reply JimmyGuest 17 hours ago Thumb upThumb down 0

Everyone I know who has had the prime has had issues. I myself received one that wouldn’t turn on and asus wouldn’t replace. I also received the keyboard for the original transformer…twice. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s a great device…when it works, which appears to be far too uncommon.

Reply angeloGuest 16 hours ago Thumb upThumb down 0

Your trick worked. By squeezing the edges i was able to capture satellites

Reply 56Trinhbo 16 hours ago Thumb upThumb down -3

I’m so glad I passed on the Transformer Prime. And for those who think their WiFi is fine, the problem is a HARDWARE issue. The tablet has an aluminium back plate which hinders radio signals. It also is designed with raised screws that act as antennas when in contact with the radio but they don’t always touch. The “workaround” for that is you physically squeeze the top rim of the tablet (no joke, google this on the site mobiletechreviews).

So even if you can get a Wifi signal at home, it does not mean that it “works” and there are no issues. The issue is that the Wifi signal is not as strong as it should be. So if you move further away from your router, the signal strength dramatically drops off and as a result, your throughput also suffers. This problem also affects the ability of the GPS to get and maintain lock.

Reply 45WlfHart 16 hours ago Thumb upThumb down 0

It’s definitely a good sign that they are putting forth a lot of effort to fix things. That’s a sign of a good company.

Still looking forward to that 1920×1200 res version though.

Reply 48xray49er 16 hours ago Thumb upThumb down 0

I have had my prime since the beginning of January. Luckily I havent had any problems and it s a great device. Hopefully eveybody with problems will get it fixed with the updates asus puts out or will be able to get replacements.

Reply 98keridel 16 hours ago Thumb upThumb down +1

dont you just love that they are working through XDA to get this sorted?

It’s great when a company reaches out to the community in such a way. shows that they care about the product not just throwing it out there with no care for the consumer

*cough* Motorolla*cough*

Reply 45WlfHart 16 hours ago Thumb upThumb down +1

It’s definitely a good sign that they are putting forth a lot of effort to fix things. That’s a sign of a good company.

Reply 93pekosROB 15 hours ago Thumb upThumb down 0

Interesting. I just discovered my Prime wouldn’t turn on (it was already one when I last used it just an hour ago) and now I’m trying to figure out how to force it to turn on…

Reply 31Vance 14 hours ago Thumb upThumb down 0

I got my prime 3 days ago (FINALLY) and have had a few little quirks. Love the ICS on there, but I’ve had issues with the Browser randomly closing, without any sort of message of prompt, and when I touch the active apps icon to pull up the list of apps I’m currently using, there is a flash and half the screen goes white before the list pulls up.
Nothing major, but I’ll pass them along.

Reply 84jimtravis 14 hours ago Thumb upThumb down +1

Have not experienced the lock-up issue yet, and WiFi seems to be working fine, or at least fine enough to ensure a good web experience. My main disappointment with the Prime is the low maximum volume level compared to other tablets playing the same file. I experienced the same low volume problem with the Slider, and I noticed the low max volume within the first 5 minutes using the Slider. The original Transformer has a higher maximum volume level than the Primer, and Slider. All the volume related settings I can find are set to maximum volume; however, the maximum volume level I experience both via built-in speaker, and when output to external speaker has been very disappointing. I have done several web searches, but have not yet found a link to a cure.

Reply 84jimtravis 14 hours ago Thumb upThumb down +1

Wish you could edit comments to correct typos. Original Transformer has a higher maximum volume level than the Prime, or Slider.

Reply jdcajundsGuest 12 hours ago Thumb upThumb down 0

Great looks, great screen, great concept. In my instance, weak wi-fi and zero GPS signal after last “fix”. The occassional unasked for reboots were inconvenient but I did not have the unit long enough to try any business applications with corresponding loss of work product.

Bottom line for me is simple: When I spend $500 on anything, especially a “want” and not a “need”, then wait 30 days to have it arrive and not have it perform as advertised then it goes back and a refund is expected.

If more of the people who are enamored with technology had the same expectation for quality and product integrity, perhaps the companies that rush to market products that are not 100% as advertised, would actually make products that work out of the box as promised.

Reply boitGuest 8 hours ago Thumb upThumb down +1

A lot of people think their GPS works just great because they have Google location turned on. If you see more than 3 satellites with lock in your house using GPS test, I would believe you got a good unit but there really is a problem with GPS and WiFi. I ran GPS test on my HTC thunderbolt this morning (solid aluminum case) under a spun aluminum pot that was 1/8 in. thick, and had the 201 running next to it. Thunderbolt had lock on 9 of 9 satellites, 201 had 0. This means it is not a case issue. 201 got lock with 9 of 13 on my deck last night at 2/3 of the signal my 101 had with lock on 9 of 9. There is something wrong, but it isnt just the aluminum case.

Reply LeonFGuest 4 hours ago Thumb upThumb down 0

I brought the transformer prime, after all the hype I heard about it. I have a iPhone 3GS, which is the best phone I ever owned, but I wanted to try something different than the iPad. Plus I didn’t want the restriction that apple have on their products. Needless to say I finally got my prime. I was very excited when I got it. I think it’s a great tablet, with a lot of potential. However my biggest gripe is the WIFI. I even change some setting opening up all networks old and new…B,G,N. While I did notice some improvement after I made the change and after I upgraded to ICS, the wifi issue is still there and that’s very frustrating. I see ASUS plan on addressing the software hiccups, but are they going to address the wifi issue. Is this something that can be fixed? Does anyone really know?

Reply Leave a Reply Cancel replyYour email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Name *

Email *

Website

Comment

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

Notify me of follow-up comments by email.

Notify me of new posts by email.

Hotly debated samsung-galaxy-s-iii-rumor-blank-camera Are these the Samsung Galaxy S III specs? 80 android-buttons-menu-dead Google says goodbye to the Menu button 79 privacy-policy-google Google going with one Privacy Policy for all 50 htc_sense HTC Sense 4.0 hands-on report reveals new features for HTC’s custom UI 48 kddi ads Notification bar ads become a nightmarish reality for KDDI users 45 Top commentersvan Thumb up Thumb down +26

on Android ads get parodied

MMcCraryNJ Thumb up Thumb down +23

on Samsung Galaxy S III specs confirmed by industry insider?

Mio Bambino Thumb up Thumb down +21

on Google: The Menu button is dead and that’s a good thing

Staff © 2012 Android and Me SAY Channel Tech Login

Username

Password

Remember Me

Register | Lost your password?

Register

Username

E-mail

A password will be e-mailed to you.

Log in | Lost your password?

Reset Password

Username or E-mail:

Log in| Register

Powered by SimpleModal Login Quantcast

No comments:

Post a Comment